Hilary Dean is a writer and documentary filmmaker specializing in representations of disability and difference. She has a BA in Film Studies and an MFA in Documentary Media from Ryerson University, and is the director of “So You’re Going Crazy…” (2010), which has screened at several film festivals and mental health conferences in North America. It is currently utilized in healthcare training programs, distributed through peer support organizations, and included in the Disability Studies and Social Work curriculum of several Canadian universities. The film airs bi-monthly on CBC’s documentary channel.
Dean was the recipient of this year’s CBC Canada Writes non-fiction award and was short listed for the Journey Prize. She is currently writing a novel about love, life, time travel, and redemption.She lives in Toronto with her husband and their Jedi Knight son.
- The Norman Jewison Filmmaker Award, Ryerson University.
- The Natalie McDonald Memorial Award, Ryerson University.
- CBC Canada Writes Creative Non Fiction Award.
- Banff Centre for the Arts Writing Residency.
- Recipient of the Reva Gerstein Legacy Fund.
- Finalist for the McClelland and Stewart Journey Prize in Short Fiction.
- CBC News, The Toronto Star, The Vancouver Sun, Open Book Toronto,Tandem News, IndieCan Radio, Inside Toronto.